Incorporation: The Facts
- The community must have 300 people to incorporate.
- Residences must be contiguous
- A petition must be signed by at least 15 percent of the qualified electors residing within the limits of the proposed municipality and then submitted to the county’s probate judge. This petition serves as the application.
- No territory may be included unless there are at least 4 qualified electors residing on each quarter of each quarter section (40 acres) who agree to incorporation by signing the petition.
- The probate judge will order an election within 90 days after submission of application.
- Election will be held within the boundaries of the proposed municipality.
- After incorporation, homeowners can request to be annexed into the town.